This will be quick because there is literally not much to it! We all know how hard it is to get kids (and even some adults!) to eat their veggies. This idea is a fairly well-known one.. however I still get a number of people who sound surprised when I mention this one to them, and after having it happen a couple of times over the past week, I figured.. why not just get it out there?!
This one is the Creamy Mashed Potatoes – with Cauliflower! Now let’s get serious here.. who in their right mind does not love to gorge on creamy, delicious, buttery & garlicky mashed potatoes. Okay, well I suppose that there may be some who don’t like them, or can not eat them for health reasons (allergies, etc.), but for the most part, mashed potatoes are a staple. And a completely delicious one at that!
This one is so easy you guys. I don’t even use a recipe for it anymore, I just do most of it to taste. But.. for those who really enjoy following a recipe, or maybe their “to taste” skills aren’t up to par (which is totally okay!).. here you go! And remember – any of these quantities can be increased or cut down depending on how many people you are serving!
What you’ll need:
- 1 head of cauliflower, cut up
- Approx 1 TBSP of olive oil
- 2 cloves of garlic – smushed, minced, or just cut up into smaller pieces
- Reduced fat cream cheese – this one truly is to taste.. I use a few tablespoons.. but it depends on how “creamy” you want them to be.
- 1/2 TBSP butter
- 1/2 cup Parmesan cheese (sometimes I use a full cup if I’m feeling extra cheesy)
- Salt & Pepper
- Steamer (sauce pan, steam basket)
- Pan (small one to cook garlic)
- Food processor
What you’re going to do with it:
- Get out your steamer, put in some water and let it come to a boil.Toss in that cauliflower and let it get a good steam for about 7-10 min. (depending on how big or small of pieces you cut it into.) You should be able to stab through it with a fork.
- While you’re waiting for your cauliflower to cook, heat up a tablespoon or so of olive oil in a pan, over med heat. Add the garlic and let it cook down a few min until it’s softened. Don’t let it burn, or it will turn bitter!
- Once the cauliflower is cooked, put about half of it in your food processor. Blend on high. Add the rest of your cauliflower slowly, blending until creamy. Then, add in your butter, garlic, parm cheese, cream cheese, salt and pepper and blend until mixed.
Voila! Enjoy!!.. Hey I said it was delicious, not completely healthy!
Leave a Reply Cancel reply